Monday, March 28, 2011

Henceforth known as Ingrid

So I've been interning at a magazine in which I have a building pass, and even though I presented them my drivers license, for some reason they printed out my first name as 'Ingrid'.

Which is funny as is ...

But possibly funnier with the context that it's a long running joke that my father allegedly wanted to name me Ingrid.

My last name already sounds really Swedish (but the farthest it's been traced is to some now non-existent English hamlet), so the first-last name coupling with 'Ingrid' sounds really silly and sing-song-y.

But alas, whenever we're watching the Olympics and there's some Scandinavian dominatrix named Ingrid on, my parents always point at me saying, "Ooh, there you are!" and things like that... haha.

I feel like I should really own this, or at least make it my 'restaurant name'... stay tuned.


So, I email a photo of the pass to the parents, and my dad replies, "I knew it, I knew it, I knew it."


I don't think I'll ever know if he is serious or jesting (and that applies to anything and everything else, I suppose!). I guess I have him to thank for my keen sarcasm radar, because he's the only one I know who stumps everyone on occasion.


Until our next encounter,
Ingrid

2 comments:

Katie Rich said...

Ha! This is hilarious! Is there a door man who greets you as Ingrid now? I really hope some people in the building don't know the name change is a mistake.

Jg. for FatScribe said...

great story, Ingrid Schmingrid (am i close?!). dads are good like that ... we always have a "bolt door" name for our wee ones when they're born (we, by law, have 1 year to change that pesky name).

when my little brother came home from the hospital (oh, wait, i'm rocking an English affectation, so let me rephrase ... "when my little brother came home from hospital") he was named "Todd." Well, my older brothers threw a fit (they were 17, 15, 13 years old at the time) and said hells-to-the-no. Thus Todd became Chad. Whenever I meet a 'Todd' I think of him.

As I was a mere 18 mos. old at the time, my vote counted little. My preferred name for him was "future boxing partner, lifelong nemesis and best friend."