Sunday, July 10, 2011

When sport becomes art

My dad and I got really emotional watching the USA vs. Brazil Womens' World Cup game today.

I have never had such a reaction to a sporting event in my life!

If you didn't see it, this recap is the best... but does NOT even include:

-the USA was playing 10 on 11 for the most of the game

-The Stretcher Incident pulled in the last couple minutes before stoppage (I was SEETHING. SEETHING!!!)

-that Marta (Brazil) is the #1 ranked player in the world

- the generally INNUMERABLE times that main ref made ludicrous calls on us.

-Wambach's post game interview in which she mentioned how the game reflects American determination as a whole.

among other things.

there aren't very many cases where many come off on top on such a grand stage, when all odds are stacked against, in as dramatic or beautiful a fashion.

No comments: