Tuesday, September 27, 2011

9/11 in the city

9/11 was pretty draining, I must say. The whole city was collectively re-mourning the events over an over again, and even though I live here now, I strained to feel the same way. And when I couldn't, I mourned this gap in experience as only a self-absorbed, 20-something could.
Mourned that 10 years ago, I was just a high schooler with jerk-wad teachers who kept hushing us that day so they could get on with their lessons, and didn't personally see any footage of these rumored horrors that would change history until 6pm EST.

For all I theorize about New York City being a distinct province separate from America, it is still America. Arguably it's most tenacious city but, on that day, I think many people considered themselves part of America.  

Took these walking back from church. The only time I've seen people pause at these memorials.


Then after I went to the US Open to watch Serena "You are unattractive inside" Williams lose... roommate and I watched the 9/11 documentary on CBS, which was haunting in the very least. Both of us had a hard time sleeping that night, myself because I kept seeing those seconds of the first plane zooming overhead and the firefighters innocently staring up at the sound as they were doing a routine check on something else. Did any of you see it? Yikes.

No comments: