Friday, June 19, 2015

About Face: foundation, powder and concealer

Foundation and powder are a really important piece of an on-camera look. If your skin isn't even in coloration, you can look sallow and shiny.

I just returned from a sunny tropical vacation, so my skin is a little bit more tanned than normal. I've simply been using NYX CC Cream in Green (which color corrects redness) and powdering on top. But when my skin returns to it's usual pale form, I'll resume the foundation.

I am always trying to find something better, but the following are ones I've tried and really like.

Liquid Foundation -- the key is getting a thicker, MATTE concoction :
Make Up For Ever HD Foundation




















Make Up For Ever Mat Velvet Foundation




















I love the above two and think they're both great for on camera.

Bobbi Brown Long Wear Even Finish foundation I also like, but not as much as the Make Up For Ever formulas.

NYX Stay Matte But Not Flat Liquid Foundation -- This was recommended to me by my studio's makeup artist, who surprisingly uses mostly budget makeup from NYX and Elf.  To me, this foundation does the job but doesn't feel quite as luxurious as the Make Up For Ever or Bobbi Brown formulas. It's cheap, though (like 7 bucks), so it's a great option on a budget.

I've been wary of using MAC liquid face makeup and face powders ever since my derm told me to stay away from them. But my skin is in good shape again, so maybe I'll give MAC a try one of these days to see if it makes a difference.

One brand I'm not impressed with is NARS. The foundation I've tried looked cakey and chalky on my face, so I returned it!

Powder

Bobbi Brown Skin Weightless Powder Foundation - It's a little thicker than normal powder without being a cream base. I will probably try something else when I'm out, as I'm not completely sold on it.

















I also like Shiseido Perfect Smoothing Compact Foundation. I feel like you can't go wrong with Asian cosmetic brands because of how culturally obsessive they are about skincare.


NYX Stay Matte But Not Flat powder -- Cheap and does the job, but not my absolute fave.


Concealer

MAC Select Moisture Cover

NYX HD concealer - Also recommended by my studio's makeup artist and I've also seen others rave about it. I don't like it as much as the MAC one...it's sheer-er and not as long lasting. Though, it is cheap.

Tip: I also use concealer as an eyelid base. I've used a few eyelid primers before (the Urban Decay one is great, the Laura Mercier Eyelid Primer is not that great) but I find that concealer usually works just as well and I'm all for product two-fers. Shhh don't tell! ;)

And of course, to combat shine I'm on the Oil-Absorbing Sheets train. I use them obsessively almost always before I go on camera.





No comments: